Kenyans are chatting more online and talking less to each other on mobile phones, the latest report by the
The report also indicates that with more internet use, Kenyans are sending less SMS.
The number of internet subscriptions grew by 1.3 per cent by
"The number of estimated internet users increased by 1.9 per cent to reach 21.6 million compared to 21.2 million estimated during the last quarter," read the report.
Broadband subscriptions also increased from 1.43 million last year to 1.44 million according to the authority's report.
It general, mobile subscriptions are still on the rise, with a record 31.8 million by
"Despite the growth in mobile subscriptions, there was a recorded decline in local mobile voice traffic of 2.7 per cent to post 7.6 billion minutes, down from 7.8 billion minutes recorded during the previous quarter," read CAK's report of January to
The report put the subscriber average minutes of talk at 80.3 minutes per month, compared to 84.1 minutes registered in December last year.
"SMS traffic declined by 1.0 per cent to reach 6.22 billion down from 6.28 billion messages sent during the preceding quarter."
The statistics published at the authority's website depicted a rise in the mobile money transfer to a record 26.2 million subscriptions from 26.0 million posted in the previous quarter.
"The number of money transfer agents increased by 10.6 per cent to stand at 103,660 agents," read the report.
This even as the
In the calls per service provider captured in the report,
Most Popular Stories
- Scholarships Offered for Hispanic Heritage Month
- Latin America Seeks Ways to Add Value to China Exports
- Boeing Succeeds in Early Wooing of China Airline Startups
- Hope Solo Sets Shutout Record in US Rout of Mexico
- Hurdles for Obama Health Law in Second Enrollment Season
- Etsy Says 'No' to Redskins Logo, Name
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- IS Releases New Beheading Video
- Detroit Bankruptcy: Pivotal Progress in Trial's Second Week
- Sneak Peek: A Roundup of 2015 New Models