Almost all the commercial banks did not heed the directives of State Bank of
A number of consumers were seen visiting one outlet then another in desperate search for a working machine to withdraw cash as they had come to markets along with families for giving final touches to their Eid shopping, which was a day away.
Branches of almost all public and private sector banks at
"ATMs are considered to be a source of relief for the consumers in need of fast cash but they have in fact become a source of annoyance, particularly on the eve of Eid," said
Butt, who had visited ATM kiosks in search of urgent needed cash, said he tried several ATM machines in the city but failed to withdraw money.
After the introduction of ATM cards, he said most of the people had developed a habit of keeping limited money with them as a safety measure with the understanding that they would withdraw cash using the facility in any part of the country on need-basis.
The customers have requested the authorities concerned to ensure proper maintenance of ATMs owned by public and private sector banks for uninterrupted service.
They said frequent and hours long closure of ATMs in the name of so-called "hardware maintenance and link-down" was a violation of the SBP instructions for keeping the cash machines operational round-the-clock.
Most Popular Stories
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Cuba Deploys More Medicos in Ebola Fight
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market
- Samsung Phones Cleared For U.S. Government Use
- Disney's Animated Feature 'Moana' Slated for 2016 Release