Following today's increase in the OCR, a period of stability would be positive for the economy, says BusinessNZ.
"Today's change was well-signalled and has already been priced in, but it does run counter to trends overseas.
"With interest rates in the developed world at near-zero, we need to avoid adding pressure on the
He said it was a balancing act in the face of conflicting pressures.
"The softening in commodity prices on one hand and record net migration on the other makes it difficult to chart a course forward.
"One thing we can be certain about is the need for spending and regulatory restraint by the Government.
"To rein in inflationary pressures, it's important that the Government keeps its spending under control and avoids new regulation that imposes added costs on businesses, such as the proposed earthquake strengthening regime."
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Clinton Rallies Early Vote for Landrieu
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- 'Fury' Gets Into Soldiers' Minds: Brad Pitt
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- Car Drivers Warned to Get Air Bags Fixed
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes