LG said in a statement that net profit for the April to June quarter reached
Operating profit rose 26.5 percent for the previous year to
Operating profit of the firm's TV unit - which accounts for the lion's share of LG's overall sales - rose by 65 percent year-on-year to
The firm noted the popularity of its ultra high-definition TVs in key markets.
LG's handset unit also recorded a dramatic turnaround with an operating profit of
The world's fifth-largest smartphone manufacturer struggled for years with sluggish sales after making a late entry to the market after competitors like
But the firm recently showed signs of revival, shipping a record 14.5m smartphones in the second quarter, a 20% increase from a year ago.
"Much of the success was due to the initial popularity of the LG G3 in the Korean market and strong sales of L-series smartphones," LG said.
LG's latest flagship smartphone, the G3, won rave reviews after its launch in May.
Source: AFP via
All rights reserved.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- NSHMBA to Rebrand With New Name, Logo
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Chrysler and Google Launch Virtual Plant Tour
- Perry Wants to Skip Court for Foreign Trip
- Investors Fret Yahoo's Future, Stock Dips
- Iran Digs in on Underground Nuclear Site
- Existing Home Sales in U.S. Fell in August
- U.N. Endorses Rights of Indigenous Peoples