At around 2.1 billion, income from operations (EBIT) before special items surpassed the level of the second quarter of 2013 by 221 million. Earnings increased considerably in the chemicals business and the Oil & Gas segment. Earnings declined considerably, however, in the Agricultural Solutions segment and in Other. The devaluation of almost all major currencies against the euro negatively impacted earnings by roughly 200 million compared to the previous second quarter, explained Bock.
EBIT increased by 246 million to 2.0 billion compared with the previous second quarter. Net income rose by 142 million to 1.3 billion. Earnings per share were 1.41 in the second quarter of 2014 compared with 1.26 in the same period of the previous year. Adjusted for special items and amortization of intangible assets, earnings per share rose to 1.54 (second quarter of 2013: 1.40).
Further implementation of the We create chemistry strategy In the past months, we continued to implement our We create chemistry strategy. We invested in attractive business areas and were successful in the market with our innovations. In addition, we optimized businesses and increased our efficiency, said Bock. Just a few days ago,
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype