Minister of Agriculture and
A statement signed by the Director (Information), Mr.
He said, "When we started in 2011, our aim was to produce additional 20 million tonnes of food to the existing production.
"As at the end of 2013, 17 million tonnes of additional food had been produced since 2011 and by 2015, 22 million tones of additional food would be produced," he said.
According to him, when ATA started in 2011, the land area for rice production was increased by 1.9 million hectares.
He said rice varieties known as faro 44 and 52, which was as good as the imported rice, had been introduced to about six million local farmers.
Adesina said these varieties could give farmers five to six tonnes per hectare as to one to two tonnes per hectares hitherto produced by the local grain. He said the intervention of the Goodluck Jonathan administration had seen the production of paddy rice grow from four to nine million tonnes in the last three years.
Most Popular Stories
- IBM to Pay Big to Unload Chip Division
- Paniagua Wins Grand Prize in Young Artists Program
- Sub Hunt Brings Cold War Chill Back to Baltic
- Canadian Pacific Ends CSX Talks
- US Stocks Move Higher Despite Drag by IBM
- Cowboys Turn Back Clock to Glory Days
- Kerry Cites Moral Need in Weapons Air Drop
- Yaris Adds French Flair for US Market
- Peyton Manning Sets TD Passing Record
- Early Voting Begins in Texas