Exhibition of the week
Other exhibitions this week
American ImpressionismThis survey of Americans who painted in
Slow LearnerSuch estimable artists as
Masterpiece of the week
El Greco – An Allegory (FÀbula) (c1580-85)Three figures gather around a pale flame. The boy lighting the candle and a man looking on are joined by a monkey. All three are fascinated by that ethereal light. It draws them out of their darkness. Is it the light of divine truth? El Greco is, after all, a deeply religious artist. Yet this light attracts not only a boy and man but a primate that seems to share for a moment in human emotions and thoughts.
Image of the weekWhat we learned this week
Who really took the world's first selfies
That the V&A's subversive new show, Disobedient Objects, is full of unlikely protest designs – from blow-up cobblestones to tiki love trucks and dwarf hats
What the earliest ever colour photography from
That an artist has sent a bonsai tree into space
The 10 best artists lost in the first world war
That the fight over the Olympic cauldron design has been settled out of court ...
... And why it's a milestone for designers all over the world
That the curse of Tutankhamun is back ... in Oxford
And how "Tutmania" struck the world in the 1920s, from magic acts to romance novels
How disgruntled developers are trying to Hack the
And finally ...
Follow us on
Share your digital artworks with us now
Most Popular Stories
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- 10 Things to Know About Alibaba
- Five Steps to Protect Yourself from Data Breaches
- Concur Sold to SAP for $8.3B
- Chrysler Recalls Nearly 189,000 SUVs
- Intruder Gets into White House
- Federal Probe Finds Christie Did Not Order 'Bridgegate'
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas