Training exercises revealed the difficulty emergency personnel face combatting fires aboard submarines because of not knowing how to access particular spaces. The virtual walkthrough helps crews plan how to get to spaces efficiently during training and real emergency situations. The engineering team spent three weeks at
"The videos give the emergency personnel a true awareness as to where they are on the ship and the equipment around them," said
The final computer-generated model is an animated walk-through of multiple pre-planned paths from the submarine's main hatch to areas on all three platforms forward of the watertight door. The team created six virtual routes, one of which is the path to get to the engine room where the threat of fire is much higher.
The goal is for emergency responders to receive guidance from their counterparts using the computer model to get to the shipboard incident quickly, suppress the problem, and minimize damage to the submarine.
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays