Early buying interest may be generated by a report from the
The drop surprised economists, who had expected jobless claims to climb to 308,000 from the 302,000 originally reported for the previous week.
With the unexpected decrease, jobless claims fell to their lowest level since hitting 283,000 in the week ended
The upbeat jobs data points to continued improvement in the labor market but may also raise some concerns about the outlook for interest rates.
Earnings news also remains in focus on the day, with shares of Facebook (FB) jumping 7.6% in pre-market trading after the social media giant reported better than expected second quarter results on strong mobile ad growth.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- At Groupon, Not a Good Deal of Workplace Diversity
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Porn Lovers Get a New Search Engine
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- Utah Hosts US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Meeting
- Investors Fret Yahoo's Future, Stock Dips