Protection offered against theft and accidental damage
Priced between Dh120 for six months' cover or Dh250 for 12 months, the plan protects smartphones against accidental damage including cracked screens, theft, liquid damage and other defects that are not covered under a traditional warranty.
The plan is offered on new smartphones bought at
"The new product is not for profit, but we are trying to satisfy our customers by providing them with services that are relevant to them," said
The worldwide coverage plan is in partnership with
"We've seen there's a real testimony in the
"Smartphone penetration in the
Analysts said that insurance for smartphones is becoming a common practice in many markets. In some cases the operator would remove the need for an underwriter and would offer the service directly.
"The way we use our smart device for daily activities from taking pictures to keeping fit is continually increasing the risk of accidental damage and given the cost of certain handsets, the requirement to insure is definitely there," said
"The value we now place on our smartphones means that insurance is often a prerequisite for many people. Our phones are with us day and night, so for operators offering insurance on these expensive devices is definitely a value-add for many of its subscribers," he added.
Telecom operators such as
The loss is offset by the high penetration of smartphones, which bring data revenues.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- Who's Next? More Nude Celeb Pics Hacked, Leaked
- Tips for Hiding, Securing Data on Smartphones
- Cristela Gets a Big Thumbs Up
- Iran Says Syria Strikes Illegal
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- ISIS Calls for Jihad Against 'Filthy French'
- Would You Trade Privacy for Job Security?
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season