US initial jobless claims unexpectedly fell to their lowest level in over eight years in the week ended
Initial jobless claims slid to 284,000, a decrease of 19,000 from the previous week's revised level of 303,000.
The buck was steady at
Upbeat euro zone economic data helped the euro stabilize after recent weakness.
The dollar extended its weekly gains versus the sterling, rising to
The dollar improved to
In other economic news from the US, new home sales showed a notable decrease in the month of June, according to a report released by the
New home sales tumbled 8.1% to an annual rate of 406,000 in June from the revised May rate of 442,000.
Most Popular Stories
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Eric Garcia Appointed as Revenue Chief
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls