The meager gains were enough to mark another high close for the Standard & Poor's 500 index.
The S&P 500 edged up three points, or 0.2 percent, to 1,987. That was two points higher than its last record close reached on
The Dow Jones industrial average fell 26 points, or 0.2 percent, to 17,086. The Nasdaq composite rose 17 points, or 0.4 percent, to 4,473.
Bond prices were little changed. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note held steady at 2.47 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes