Data from Statistics Canada showed that
Sales were up 4.0% over-over-year in May.
Core retail sales increased a seasonally adjusted 0.1% on month in May, versus 0.3% rise expected by the economists. The April's figure was revised up by 0.8%.
The loonie strengthened to a 5-day high of 1.0709 against the greenback, after having fallen to 1.0741 in early deals. On the upside, 1.06 is seen as next possible resistance level for the loonie.
The loonie reversed from an early low of 94.44 against the yen, approaching a weekly high of 94.66. If the loonie continues its uptrend, it is likely to find resistance around the 95.5 area.
The loonie rose back to 1.4421 against the euro after the data came out, heading to break its early 6-1/2-month high of 1.4417. Next key upside target for the loonie is seen around the 1.43 mark.
The loonie held steady against the aussie, after declining to more than a 4-week low of 1.0139 at
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- Creepers! Microsoft Buys 'Minecraft' Maker for $2.5 Billion
- Back to School, Even in Immigration Jail
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- Hispanic Buying Power Slow but Growing in South
- Apple: Record iPhones 6 Orders on 1st Day
- U.S. Factory Output Slowed 0.4 Percent in August
- Is a Mayweather, Pacquiao Big-Money Fight Possible?
- Clinton: 'Fabulous to Be Back' in Iowa
- 'No Good Deed' Defeats 'Guardians' at Theaters