Computer users cite the risk of security threats from malware as the top reason not to use unlicensed software. Among their specific concerns are intrusions by hackers and the loss of data. However, 34% of the software installed on personal computers in
These and other findings released today in the
"There has been a one percentage-point decrease in the use of unlicensed software since 2011. We hope this is the start of a downward trend that suggests
- The rate at which PC software was installed without proper licensing in
- The chief reason that computer users around the world cite for not using unlicensed software is avoiding security threats from malware. Among the risks associated with unlicensed software, 64% of users globally cited unauthorised access by hackers as a top concern and 59% cited loss of data.
- IT managers around the world express understandable concern that unlicensed software may cause harm, yet less than half say they are very confident that their company's software is properly licensed.
- Only 35% of companies globally have written policies in place requiring use of properly licensed software.
"The reality is that South African businesses are operating within a thriving digital economy and properly licensed software will help ensure that they run as efficiently and securely as possible," said Haman. "Smart software management processes can help build confidence in South African businesses and their ability to transact securely over the internet, which could have a massive positive impact on our fledgling economy."
"Unlicensed software use is an organisational governance issue - and this study shows there is a clear need for improvement," said BSA president and CEO,
Among the other findings in
- The global rate at which PC software was installed without proper licensing rose from 42% in 2011 to 43% in 2013 as emerging economies where unlicensed software use is most prevalent continued to account for a growing majority of all PCs in service.
- The commercial value of unlicensed PC software installations totalled
- The region with the highest overall rate of unlicensed PC software installations in 2013 was
A full copy of
All rights reserved.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006