News Column

Boston Private Financial Holdings, Inc. Reports Second Quarter 2014 Results

August 2, 2014



By a News Reporter-Staff News Editor at Investment Weekly News -- Boston Private Financial Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: BPFH) (the "Company" or "BPFH") reported second quarter 2014 GAAP Net Income Attributable to the Company of $21.3 million, compared to $17.0 million for the first quarter of 2014. GAAP Net Income Attributable to the Company was flat on a year-over-year basis relative to the second quarter of 2013. Second quarter diluted earnings per share were $0.25, a $0.05 increase over the first quarter of 2014. Diluted earnings per share increased by $0.14 on a year-over-year basis from $0.11 for the second quarter of 2013. Excluding the impact of significant transactions in the second quarter of 2013, diluted earnings per share was $0.18.

"The second quarter demonstrated continued strength in our Wealth Management businesses and our Private Bank," said Clayton G. Deutsch, CEO and President. "For the Private Bank, average loan and deposit growth year-over-year was 4% and 8%, respectively. Our Wealth Advisors had another strong quarter, with fees increasing 4% linked quarter and 16% year-over-year. Especially gratifying, given our long-standing focus on target ROE attainment, is seeing second quarter ROE come in at 13.5% and first half of 2014 ROE coming in at 12.2%." Core Fees and Income Increased 13% Year-Over-Year On a year-over-year basis, Core Fees and Income (Investment Management Fees, Wealth Advisory Fees, Private Banking Wealth Management and Trust Fees, Other Banking Fee Income and Gain on Sale of Loans) increased 13% to $34.1 million due to double-digit growth in Wealth Advisory Fees. On a linked quarter basis, Core Fees and Income increased 8% from $31.7 million for the first quarter of 2014, due largely to higher AUM across our Wealth Management business as well as higher gain on sale of loans.

Total Assets Under Management/Advisory ("AUM") increased to $25.4 billion at the end of the second quarter, up 3% from $24.7 billion at the end of the first quarter of 2014. AUM increased 17% from $21.8 billion at the end of the second quarter of 2013. Net Interest Income Increased 4% Linked Quarter Net Interest Income for the second quarter was $46.3 million, up 4% from $44.5 million for the first quarter of 2014. On a year-over-year basis, Net Interest Income increased 5% from $43.9 million. Included in the second quarter of 2014 Net Interest Income was $1.9 million of interest recovered on previous nonaccrual loans. Excluding the interest recovered, Net Interest Income was flat compared to the first quarter of 2014 and up 1% from the second quarter of 2013.

Net Interest Margin was 3.14% at the end of the second quarter, up ten basis points from 3.04% at the end of the first quarter. Net Interest Margin was unchanged from June 30, 2013. Excluding the impact from interest recovered, June 30, 2014 Net Interest Margin was 3.01%, down three basis points from March 31, 2014. Total Operating Expenses Decreased 1% Linked Quarter, 4% Year-Over-Year Total Operating Expenses for the second quarter of 2014 were $54.4 million, down 1% from $55.0 million for the first quarter of 2014. First quarter expenses were elevated by seasonal compensation expenses such as increased 401(k) employee contribution matches and FICA. On a year-over-year basis, Total Operating Expenses decreased 4% from $56.7 million. The second quarter of 2013 included $2.4 million of one-time charges related to liability restructuring and tax reserves. Provision Credit of $5.0M Driven By Net Recoveries The Company recorded a $5.0 million credit for its Provision for Loan Losses for the second quarter of 2014, compared to a provision credit of $1.2 million for the first quarter. The provision credit was driven by net recoveries of $2.9 million and $1.2 million from the commercial loan sale. The Company recorded a provision credit of $2.0 million for the second quarter of 2013.

Criticized Loans were flat on a linked quarter basis, and decreased 2% year-over-year. Nonaccrual Loans ("Nonaccruals") decreased 1% to $41.6 million, down from $42.1 million on a linked quarter basis. On a year-over-year basis, Nonaccruals decreased 20% from $52.3 million. As a percentage of Total Loans, Nonaccruals were 82 basis points at June 30, 2014, up 1 basis point from 81 basis points at March 31, 2014, and down 26 basis points from 1.08% at June 30, 2013.

Keywords for this news article include: Banking and Finance, Boston Private Financial Holdings Inc., Finance and Investment, Financial Service Companies.

Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC


For more stories on investments and markets, please see HispanicBusiness' Finance Channel



Source: Investment Weekly News


Story Tools






HispanicBusiness.com Facebook Linkedin Twitter RSS Feed Email Alerts & Newsletters