On Monday, a bronze bust of Taylor was unveiled at the
The self-taught mechanic hand-built the first airplane engine after a slew of automakers rejected the brothers' request to build one.
"Charlie was a very humble person, never sought the limelight and over history, history kind of forgot the men and women behind the scenes who maintained the aircraft," said
Taylor had other firsts in history. He was the first airport manager, beginning at
"Everybody knows that the Wright brothers did a lot with the invention of the first airplane," Taylor said. "But when it came to the propulsion, the engine, which was a significant part of that invention, their bicycle mechanic — the third cog in the wheel — was the one who provided that part of the invention."
Taylor stood with Wrights in the early years of the brothers' airplane company in
Most Popular Stories
- Study: Recessions Can Postpone Motherhood Forever
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- China Approves iPhone 6 After Security Assurances
- Meet the YouTube Tech Review Sensation
- U.S. Home Prices Rose at Slowest Pace in 20 Months
- Who Is Daniel Ivascyn?
- Hispanics Carry Big Clout: Census
- Netflix Eyes Hollywood With Feature Film
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million