The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose eight points, or 0.4 percent, to 1,982 in early trading Tuesday.
The Dow Jones industrial average gained 56 points, or 0.3 percent, to 17,108 points. The Nasdaq composite rose 28 points, or 0.6 percent, to 4,452.
European markets rose. The DAX in
Bond prices fell. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note rose to 2.48 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Why the Bond Market Isn't as Safe as You Think
- Lexus Luxury Compact Sedan Wins Buyers
- Review: Pay by Phone or Just Keep Using Plastic?
- Royals Beat A's in 12-inning Wild Card Thriller
- What to Look for in Mich. Jobs Market
- Construction Spending Down Again for August
- Dallas Parents Fear Students Exposed to Ebola
- Obama Seeks Traction From Economic Recovery