Computer hardware stocks turned in some of the market's best performances on the day, resulting in a 1.4% advance by the NYSE Arca Computer Hardware Index. With the gain, the index ended the session at a new record closing high.
Significant strength was also visible among telecom stocks, as reflected by the 1.4% gain posted by the NYSE Arca Telecom Index. The gain lifted the index to its best closing level in well over a month.
Networking stocks also saw considerable strength on the day, resulting in a 1.4% gain by the NYSE Arca Networking Index.
Transportation, housing, and oil service stocks also showed strong moves to the upside, while gold stocks bucked the uptrend amid a decrease by the price of the precious metal.
The major averages moved roughly sideways throughout much of the afternoon, hovering in positive territory. The Dow rose 61.81 points or 0.4% to 17,113.54, the Nasdaq advanced 31.31 points or 0.7% to 4,456.02 and the S&P 500 climbed 9.90 points or 0.5% to 1,983.53.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- Who's Next? More Nude Celeb Pics Hacked, Leaked
- Tips for Hiding, Securing Data on Smartphones
- Hispanic Enterprises Drive U.S. Economy
- Fed in No Rush to Raise Interest Rates
- ISIS Calls for Jihad Against 'Filthy French'
- Would You Trade Privacy for Job Security?
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Cristela Gets a Big Thumbs Up
- Iran Says Syria Strikes Illegal