The U.S. dollar traded in a boxed range in the mid-101 yen zone in
The U.S. currency moved between
The euro was quoted at
The dollar rose slightly against the yen during the day as markets in
Risk aversion ebbed slightly as U.S. stocks trimmed earlier losses over the holiday, supporting dollar buying amid ongoing unease over
"The other main factor is that when
U.S. June consumer prices due out later Tuesday are in focus, with the Federal Reserve watching the consumer price index as one factor in determining how to time the tightening of its monetary policy.
"Dollar buying in anticipation of a strong CPI is likely to be muted in
May's strong consumer prices were described by Fed chair
"Even if Yellen herself dismisses a strong June CPI as further 'noise,' it could well convince market participants the U.S. economy is picking up fast enough to bring forward a rate hike," Suzuki said.
The euro eased slightly against the dollar and yen late in
"We're still concerned about how geopolitical hot spots will develop from now, but it doesn't seem to be a lasting muffling effect on the global economy," Sakai said.
Most Popular Stories
- Bently Creates Alabama Small Business Commission
- California King Fire Roars Out of Control
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Is Alibaba's IPO Price a Fairytale?
- Kardashian: Kanye Never Told Fan in Wheelchair to Stand Up
- SBA Kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month
- CalPERS Pulls Out of Hedge Funds
- U.S. Tobacco Growers Lose Last of Price Supports
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006
- Two-thirds of Hispanics Doubt Media Accuracy