The huge damage figure, which was awarded to the widow of a longtime smoker who died of lung cancer, will likely be overturned when it is appealed, Stifel analyst
The company plans to create the second-largest tobacco maker in
The damages in the court case were awarded after a four-week trial and were in addition to
Growe said in his note that the punitive damages far exceed clear standards set by the
"While its implications are not clear at this time, this large verdict would seem to complicate the company's acquisition in the short-run during the appellate process," Growe wrote.
Most Popular Stories
- Study: Recessions Can Postpone Motherhood Forever
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- Hispanics Carry Big Clout: Census
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million
- Effort to Oust Assad Put on Hold
- Qantas Puts World's Largest Plane on Longest Route
- Los Angeles Set to Host Small Business Summit
- Chicago Flight Delays: Questions Answered
- White House Intruder Got Farther Than Reported
- Jeb Bush: GOP Senate Would 'Fix a Few Things'