Former Presidential Adviser of Petroleum Matters, Dr.
Egbogah who spoke at the Abuja Petroleum Roundtable (ARB) described the PIB as both a challenge and opportunity.
He however noted that while the lawmakers are able to appreciate the challenge posed by the bill, they are yet to embrace the opportunity it presents.
According to him, the PIB seeks to "holistically restructure and reform
"It is aimed at energizing investments in our industry. In the upstream, the funding issues faced by the state owned
"The government also wishes to reverse the fiscal terms across the industry especially during a time of rising oil prices in order to increase its tax revenues. At the downstream sector, there is total disarray with a failed refining industry which is heavily subsidized".
Egbogah who admitted that the chances of the bill being passed by the
He explained that any keen observer of the industry would have noted that "industry rounds and investments have been put on hold for about five to six years now pending the passage of the new bill to regulate the oil and gas industry.
"The passage of the bill into law will serve as a breath of fresh investment air into the industry for the revival of our national economy and will indeed serve as possible key to unlocking major opportunities in the
In his presentations, the Executive Secretary Nigerian Content Development Monitoring Board,
He explained that the delay may turn out to be an advantage as it affords the country enough time to prepare for the implementation the bill and with it improve how the petroleum sector is governed.
Most Popular Stories
- Scholarships Offered for Hispanic Heritage Month
- Latin America Seeks Ways to Add Value to China Exports
- Boeing Succeeds in Early Wooing of China Airline Startups
- Hope Solo Sets Shutout Record in US Rout of Mexico
- Hurdles for Obama Health Law in Second Enrollment Season
- Etsy Says 'No' to Redskins Logo, Name
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- IS Releases New Beheading Video
- Detroit Bankruptcy: Pivotal Progress in Trial's Second Week
- Sneak Peek: A Roundup of 2015 New Models