Lemaire will take his final bow on
There was no word about who would replace the designer, whose clothes convey the kind of relaxed, understated luxury befitting the image of the stately Hermes, which got its start in the 19th century as a saddle-maker.
In the statement, Lemaire said he was leaving to tend to his own label.
"My own label is growing in an important way, and now I really want and need to dedicate myself to it fully," the statement quoted the designer as saying.
Lemaire, who joined Hermes in
"Under his (Lemaire's) artistic direction, the metier has renewed its aesthetic and produced satisfactory financial results," Dumas said.
Lemaire's appointment at Hermes had raised some eyebrows. The unassuming designer who came from French sportswear label
Sure enough, Lemaire sent out a soft, calm and restful Fall-Winter 2011-12 ready-to-wear collection at his first Hermes show in
Hermes' fans will surely wonder what to expect for Lemaire's finale in the fall. A year ago, at his
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006
- Aaron Hernandez: I Felt Helpless to Refuse Police
- Parameters Being Drawn for IS Action
- Cedeno Named USHCC Businessman of the Year
- Anheuser-Busch, Visa Voice NFL Disapproval
- Can Kobach Keep Taylor's Name on Ballot?
- Two-thirds of Hispanics Doubt Media Accuracy