LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Actor James Garner, wisecracking star of TV's "Maverick" who went on to a long career on both small and big screen, has died. He was 86.
He was found dead of natural causes at his Brentwood home Saturday evening, Los Angeles police officer Alonzo Iniquez said early Sunday.
Officers responded to a call around 8 p.m. PDT and confirmed Garner's identity from family members, Iniquez told The Associated Press.
There was no immediate word on a specific cause of death. Garner had suffered a stroke in May 2008, just weeks after his 80th birthday.
Although he was adept at drama and action, Garner was best known for his witty, low-key style, especially with the TV series "Maverick" and "The Rockford Files."
He was nominated for an Oscar for the 1985 "Murphy's Romance." He remained active well into his 70s.
© 2014 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.
Original headline: Police: James Garner, reluctant hero in TV's 'Maverick,' 'Rockford Files,' dies at age 86
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays