KEEPING SCORE: Dow Jones industrial average futures are up 23 points at 16,899 less than an hour before the start of regular trading.
Standard & Poor's 500 index futures are up two points to 1,968, while Nasdaq 100 futures are up four points at 3,889.
The Dow edged within two points of 17,000 for the first time after separate reports showed that manufacturing expanded in
JOBS: ADP, a payroll processer, said businesses added 281,000 jobs last month, up from 179,000 in the previous month. The figure suggests the government's jobs report, due out Thursday, could also show a significant gain from May's tally of 217,000 jobs. But the ADP survey only looks at the private sector so often diverges from the government's more comprehensive report.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Hackers Get Homeland Security Employee Records
- Mo'Ne Davis a Big Winner Despite Loss
- Advocacy Group Calls for Chrysler Probe
- DHS Warns Retailers About Malware in Cash Registers
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map