The auction took place last week, but the winner wasn't identified until Wednesday. Draper says he is using a system that has set up trading platforms in emerging markets to circulate the bitcoins.
Unlike most forms of money, bitcoins aren't backed by any government.
The amount Draper paid for the bitcoins isn't being revealed. Their current market value is roughly
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Hackers Get Homeland Security Employee Records
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Mo'Ne Davis a Big Winner Despite Loss
- Advocacy Group Calls for Chrysler Probe
- DHS Warns Retailers About Malware in Cash Registers
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map