Mahler's Eighth Symphony brought the
Salonen nevertheless firmly held his forces together, with the neatness and clarity of the ensemble impressively maintained in all but a handful of passages in the 80-minute span. Given the extraordinary complexity and richness of Mahler's textures, the interpretation's balance was remarkable.
There was some exemplary work from the choral battalions, who proved themselves capable of a true pianissimo as well as some roof-raising climaxes. The sopranos, in particular, went for all of their top notes and hit almost all of them fair and square.
The soloists were more mixed and stronger on the female side than the male.
On the other side of the platform, though,
Most Popular Stories
- Small-Business Loans Fueling Economic Growth
- Illegal Immigration Near Historic Low, Despite What You May Have Heard
- Gasoline Costs Drive Consumer Price Increases
- Saudi Arabia Will Open Stock Market to Foreigners
- Tesco Head Steps Down After Profit Warning
- Want a Job? Try Minneapolis
- Russians Fed Steady Diet of Conspiracy Theories
- Comic-Con Offers Toy Designers a Chance to Go Wild
- Google Chrome Bug Draining Batteries: Report
- Durbin Drubs Walgreen for Possible Tax Dodge