Mahler's Eighth Symphony brought the
Salonen nevertheless firmly held his forces together, with the neatness and clarity of the ensemble impressively maintained in all but a handful of passages in the 80-minute span. Given the extraordinary complexity and richness of Mahler's textures, the interpretation's balance was remarkable.
There was some exemplary work from the choral battalions, who proved themselves capable of a true pianissimo as well as some roof-raising climaxes. The sopranos, in particular, went for all of their top notes and hit almost all of them fair and square.
The soloists were more mixed and stronger on the female side than the male.
On the other side of the platform, though,
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say