The early strength on
ADP said employment in the private sector surged up by 281,000 jobs in June following an increase of 179,000 jobs in May. Economists had been expecting employment to climb by about 205,000 jobs.
While the data has generated some optimism about the
Gold and steel stocks are seeing some strength in early trading, although weakness among airline and utilities stocks has helped to limit the upside for the markets.
The major averages have moved roughly sideways in recent trading, hovering just above the unchanged line. The Dow is up 10.28 points or 0.1% at 16,966.35, the Nasdaq is up 2.50 points or 0.1% at 4,461.15 and the S&P 500 is up 0.21 points or less than 0.1% at 1,973.53.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say