While many of the major sectors are showing only modest moves, considerable strength is visible among gold stocks. Reflecting the strength in the gold sector, the NYSE Arca Gold Bugs Index has advanced by 1.3%.
The strength among gold stocks comes amid a modest increase by the price of the precious metal, with gold for August delivery climbing
Steel stocks are also turning in a strong performance on the day, resulting in a 1.3% gain by the NYSE Arca Steel Index. With the gain, the index has reached its best intraday level in over five months.
On the other hand, airline stocks are seeing significant weakness, dragging the NYSE Arca Airline Index down by 2.1%.
Notable weakness has also emerged among utilities stocks, as reflected by the 1.3% loss being posted by the Dow Jones Utilities Average. The average is pulling back further off the record closing high it set on Monday.
Currently, the major averages are posting modest gains on the day. The Dow is up 10.55 points or 0.1% at 16,966.62, the Nasdaq is up 3.95 points or 0.1% at 4,462.60 and the S&P 500 is up 1.31 points or 0.1% at 1,974.63.
Most Popular Stories
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Russia Fears Lasting Damage From Ukraine Crisis