That's down from 55.5 in May, which represented a six-month high.
A score above 50 means expansion in a sector, while a reading below means contraction.
Among the individual components of the survey, expectations came in at 60.4, followed by input prices (56.0), prices charged (50.8) and new orders (50.7).
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Swiss Suicide Tourism Doubled Since 2009
- Florida's Largest Insurer Says 'Bailout' Attacks Unfair
- James Foley Beheading Sparks Anger, Little Action
- Wealth Gap Widened in Past Decade: Census
- Gap Reports Higher Profits, India Plans
- International Revulsion Grows Over James Foley Death
- Beyonce, Jay-Z Cuba Trip Was Legal After All
- Chinese Stock Funds Are a Late-summer Bloomer
- Sears Holdings Loses $573 Million