Burger King is trying to let its gay customers have it their way with a new sandwich called the "Proud Whopper."
The gay-pride burger is being sold at one Burger King restaurant in San Francisco on Market Street through Thursday. The sandwich is served in a rainbow-colored wrapper that reads, "We are all the same inside."
Burger King celebrates gay pride with 'Proud Whopper' http://t.co/1DlouzZTul pic.twitter.com/z59uEnP22u— Ad Age (@adage) July 2, 2014
"It showcases who we are as a brand," Fernando Machado, senior vice president of global brand management at Burger King, told USA Today. "It shows how we, as a brand, believe in self-expression."
The Market Street Burger King sold Proud Whoppers last weekend during San Francisco's gay pride parade and handed out rainbow Burger King crowns.
The burger sells for $4.29 and the only way it differs from the traditional Whopper is its wrapper.
Proceeds from the burger will be donated to scholarships for LGBT high school seniors graduating in 2015.
Share the love. #BeYourWay
https://t.co/5tdxnjl9nI— Burger King (@BurgerKing) July 2, 2014
Original headline: The 'Proud Whopper' is Burger King's new gay-friendly burger
Most Popular Stories
- Bently Creates Alabama Small Business Commission
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- Bolivar Appointed to NSHMBA National Board
- Rosneft Growth Slowed by Western Sanctions
- SBA Kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month
- Duke Energy, Strata Partner on Big Solar Project
- Lindsay Lohan Claims She Handled Whitney Houston's Body Bag
- Ukraine Offers Temporary Autonomy to Rebel-held Areas
- Cat Stevens Touring U.S., First Since 1970s
- Thousands Risk Losing Health Care Aid