Cystic fibrosis is a rare inherited disease that causes thick mucus to form in the lungs and other organs. Vertex said its treatment helped improve lung function for the people over 12 years old with the most common form of the disease who took part in the study. The treatment was a combination of the drugs lumacaftor and ivacaftor. More than 1,100 people took part in the study.
Because of the results, Vertex plans to seek approval for the treatment in the U.S. and
Vertex shares jumped 56 percent to
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Obama's Delay on Immigration Creates Uncertainty
- Obama on Labor Day: Don't Take Rights for Granted
- Buyer's Remorse on Common Core for Policymakers?
- Mexico's Pemex Forecasts 6.7% Drop in 2014 Crude Production
- California Passes First US Statewide Bag Ban
- American Airlines Back on Obitz
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps