The Dow Jones industrial average rose 50 points, or 0.3 percent, to 17,028 in the first few minutes of trading Friday.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose six points, or 0.4 percent, to 1,964. The Nasdaq composite rose 17 points, or 0.4 percent, to 4,380.
Markets were recovering a day after being rattled by the downing of a passenger jet over eastern
Bond prices fell. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note rose to 2.47 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Mark Sanchez Suddenly a Hot QB Commodity
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant