Igarashi had been trying to raise funds online to pay for the construction of a kayak, using a 3D printer, modelled on the shape of her genitals. Her supporters said they were shocked by what they described as the police's unusually broad use of
The artist was arrested for "distributing data that could create an obscene shape through a 3D printer," said a police spokesman. Before her arrest, Igarashi had collected about
The artist's arrest triggered protest among her fans and supporters, who started an online petition to demand her immediate release.
If convicted, Igarashi could be jailed up to two years or fined up to
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- Who's Next? More Nude Celeb Pics Hacked, Leaked
- Tips for Hiding, Securing Data on Smartphones
- Cristela Gets a Big Thumbs Up
- Iran Says Syria Strikes Illegal
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- ISIS Calls for Jihad Against 'Filthy French'
- Would You Trade Privacy for Job Security?
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season