OTTAWA, Canada, July 16 -- The government of Canada released the following news on behalf of Department of Finance:
Finance Minister Joe Oliver today announced the members of his Economic Advisory Council.
The group of 16 members from across Canada includes Canadian business and academic leaders who will meet with the Minister periodically to provide advice on a broad range of fiscal, economic and financial issues, as the Government will be returning to balance in 2015.
The Council members are:
* John Bradlow
* Bonnie Brooks
* Peter Brown
* Paul Desmarais
* Murray Edwards
* Monique Leroux
* Donald Lindsay
* Rebecca MacDonald
* Janice MacKinnon, Chair
* Jack Mintz
* Andrew Oland
* Jim Pattison
* Dani Reiss
* H. Sanford Riley
* Nancy Southern
* Rob Wildeboer
* Council members have agreed to a salary of $1, with their expenses being reimbursed by the Government.
* The Council was established on December 18, 2008 to provide economic advice to the Minister of Finance in the wake of the global financial crisis and recession.
* Since the Government introduced the Economic Action Plan to respond to the global recession, Canada has performed better than most developed countries.
* Real GDP is significantly above pre-recession levels--the best performance in the G-7.
* The Canadian economy posted one of the strongest job creation records in the G-7 over the recovery, with more than 1 million jobs created since July 2009.
TNS 24KuanRap-140717 30FurigayJof-4800026 30FurigayJof