SEL is a specialized research and development company that patents semiconductor technologies. This supercomputing solution from SGI, which has been fully operational since
"We are privileged to be providing the computational resource that drives SEL's achievements in developing cutting-edge technology for industry," said
"As a leader in partnering with research organizations to provide them with computational tools, SGI is proud to have been selected by SEL to support them in their innovative semiconductor research," said
SEL first installed SGI's server solutions in 2008. As SEL is focused on exemplary research and development in the semiconductor field, it has worked to ensure that the computational resource driving its research has improved in parallel with its own offerings. This marks the second time that SEL has implemented a large-scale overhaul of its systems.
A primary reason SEL selected SGI was the unique ability to offer a supercomputer with a hybrid structure, which combine a large-scale shared memory server and distributed cluster servers into a single, unified system. Given this highly optimized configuration, application performance has increased as much as 2.6-fold compared to SEL's previous system, with a theoretical overall peak performance of 180 teraflops. Enabled with such a high performing solution, SEL's research and engineering staff can be even more efficient in delivering world-class innovation.
A large-scale shared-memory server allows a single system to make use of extensive memory space, while distributed cluster servers allow high-speed processing through massively parallel computations.
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- Mark Sanchez Suddenly a Hot QB Commodity
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant