Gold and silver prices rose Thursday following news that a passenger plane crashed in eastern
Ukrainian officials said the plane was shot down, though both the government and the pro-
The incident brought investors new worries about the region. Tensions have been building between
Traders moved money into precious metals futures, a traditional safe-haven investment favored in time of geopolitical instability.
Gold for August delivery rose
It was the biggest one-day gain for gold since
In addition to global tensions, low interest rates and the associated risk of inflation also tend to drive up gold prices.
In other metals trading, October platinum rose
Copper for September delivery edged up less than a penny to
Crop futures were mixed. Wheat jumped
Oil prices rose. Benchmark U.S. crude for August delivery rose
Wholesale gasoline was little changed at
Natural gas slumped
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006
- Aaron Hernandez: I Felt Helpless to Refuse Police
- Parameters Being Drawn for IS Action
- Cedeno Named USHCC Businessman of the Year
- Anheuser-Busch, Visa Voice NFL Disapproval
- Can Kobach Keep Taylor's Name on Ballot?
- Two-thirds of Hispanics Doubt Media Accuracy