Gold and silver prices rose Thursday following news that a passenger plane crashed in eastern
Ukrainian officials said the plane was shot down, though both the government and the pro-
The incident brought investors new worries about the region. Tensions have been building between
Traders moved money into precious metals futures, a traditional safe-haven investment favored in time of geopolitical instability.
Gold for August delivery rose
It was the biggest one-day gain for gold since
In addition to global tensions, low interest rates and the associated risk of inflation also tend to drive up gold prices.
In other metals trading, October platinum rose
Copper for September delivery edged up less than a penny to
Crop futures were mixed. Wheat jumped
Oil prices rose. Benchmark U.S. crude for August delivery rose
Wholesale gasoline was little changed at
Natural gas slumped
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go
- Detroit Raced Toward this Week's Bankruptcy Trial
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Obama on Labor Day: Don't Take Rights for Granted
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause