AGRICULTURAL professionals in
Speaking on risk management tools for agricultural finance, an official from
"The point that most bankers are missing is the fact that we are living in an agricultural economy and that about everything revolves around this sector.
It surprises that they willingly have money for breweries yet fail to realise the basic ingredients for a brewery are goods produced by farmers, the same people they are avoiding," he explained.
He said it was his firm belief that the fear among bankers was misplaced and that the bad evaluation that they usually gave to farmers after demanding their business plans and bank statement reappraisal was an indicator that they knew little about agricultural mechanics.
Ms Muiruri said she differed with agriculturalists that agriculture should be looked at differently as a business, but rather that it should be parallel with other businesses, with risks just like others and find solutions to reducing these risks.
On the very contentious issue, that has been one of the topics of discussion during the four-day conference on revolutionising finance for agri-value chains, interest rate, she said that there was need for farmers to be made aware about the implications of increased inflation and what it meant to lending.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say