According to the
The Deputy Director-General of Government and Intergovernmental Relations, Mr Muthotho Sigidi, informed the Committee that the debt owed to municipalities in the 2013/14 financial year was R1bn more than in 2012/13. He also told the Committee that government's share of debtors represented 4.3 per cent (R57bn), followed by businesses at 20.7 per cent (R19bn) and other categories of debtors at 13.4 per cent (R12.5bn).
Committee Chairperson Mr
It also emerged during the meeting that municipalities are under-spending on the Municipal Infrastructure Grant (MIG). Mr Sigidi said the MIG expenditure over the past four financial years had been always lower than 80 per cent. Furthermore, the allocation quantum had been increasing over the years and the balance unspent had always been a concern.
Most Popular Stories
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges