According to the
The Deputy Director-General of Government and Intergovernmental Relations, Mr Muthotho Sigidi, informed the Committee that the debt owed to municipalities in the 2013/14 financial year was R1bn more than in 2012/13. He also told the Committee that government's share of debtors represented 4.3 per cent (R57bn), followed by businesses at 20.7 per cent (R19bn) and other categories of debtors at 13.4 per cent (R12.5bn).
Committee Chairperson Mr
It also emerged during the meeting that municipalities are under-spending on the Municipal Infrastructure Grant (MIG). Mr Sigidi said the MIG expenditure over the past four financial years had been always lower than 80 per cent. Furthermore, the allocation quantum had been increasing over the years and the balance unspent had always been a concern.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Obama's Delay on Immigration Creates Uncertainty
- Obama on Labor Day: Don't Take Rights for Granted
- Buyer's Remorse on Common Core for Policymakers?
- Mexico's Pemex Forecasts 6.7% Drop in 2014 Crude Production
- California Passes First US Statewide Bag Ban
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- American Airlines Back on Obitz
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps