Business supports enhanced innovation and a focus on sustainability, says BusinessNZ.
He said business would strongly support the
The policy announcement includes the funding of an additional 1,000 places at tertiary institutions for those studying engineering, maths, computer science and the physical sciences. BusinessNZ Chief Executive
"Business says their top issue is getting enough appropriately skilled staff. Businesses that are competing through innovation have a critical need for people with technical skills."
He said the Greens' announcement of continued support for direct R&D grants would also be welcomed.
"The value of such grants is that they can be directed towards companies with high growth prospects where their industry is aligned strategically with
"There will not be overall agreement with the policy of R&D tax credits for all firms because of distortions arising from their past use, where firms were able to claim credits for expenditure unrelated to research and development, diminishing the amounts actually spent on R&D. Clearly targeted R&D grants based on company performance and co-investment criteria are a more transparent form of assistance."
Other policies, such as requiring firms that go into overseas ownership having to repay their grants, and firms receiving grants agreeing to government taking an equity stake could pose risks,
"The principle of getting a direct pay-back from assistance is sound, however the logistics of achieving it could be difficult. Requiring firms being sold overseas to repay their grants could become red tape obstructing them from selling when it might be in their best interest and
He said business would welcome the opportunity to continue dialogue with the
Most Popular Stories
- Creepers! Microsoft Buys 'Minecraft' Maker for $2.5 Billion
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- Back to School, Even in Immigration Jail
- Hispanic Buying Power Slow but Growing in South
- Apple: Record iPhones 6 Orders on 1st Day
- U.S. Factory Output Slowed 0.4 Percent in August
- Is a Mayweather, Pacquiao Big-Money Fight Possible?
- Clinton: 'Fabulous to Be Back' in Iowa
- 'No Good Deed' Defeats 'Guardians' at Theaters
- Bolivar Appointed to NSHMBA National Board