The gains pushed the Dow Jones industrial average to its second record high close this month.
The Dow rose 77 points, or 0.5 percent, to 17,138 Wednesday, beating the record high close it set on
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose eight points, or 0.4 percent, to 1,981. The Nasdaq composite rose nine points, or 0.2 percent, to 4,425.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.53 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- RV Sales See Highest Increase Post Great Recession
- Report: China to Declare Qualcomm a Monopoly
- Oppression of Women Cripples Africa: Obama
- Insecticides Permeate U.S. Food, Water Supply
- Eid al-Fitr Celebrations Mark End of Ramadan
- Anarchy, Chaos Sweep Across Libya