The gains pushed the Dow Jones industrial average to its second record high close this month.
The Dow rose 77 points, or 0.5 percent, to 17,138 Wednesday, beating the record high close it set on
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose eight points, or 0.4 percent, to 1,981. The Nasdaq composite rose nine points, or 0.2 percent, to 4,425.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.53 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go