The gains pushed the Dow Jones industrial average to its second record high close this month.
The Dow rose 77 points, or 0.5 percent, to 17,138 Wednesday, beating the record high close it set on
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose eight points, or 0.4 percent, to 1,981. The Nasdaq composite rose nine points, or 0.2 percent, to 4,425.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.53 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- At Groupon, Not a Good Deal of Workplace Diversity
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Porn Lovers Get a New Search Engine
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- Utah Hosts US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Meeting
- Investors Fret Yahoo's Future, Stock Dips