The gains pushed the Dow Jones industrial average to its second record high close this month.
The Dow rose 77 points, or 0.5 percent, to 17,138 Wednesday, beating the record high close it set on
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose eight points, or 0.4 percent, to 1,981. The Nasdaq composite rose nine points, or 0.2 percent, to 4,425.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.53 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Obama's Delay on Immigration Creates Uncertainty
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps
- Illinois Issues Fracking Rules
- Mexico's Pemex Forecasts 6.7% Drop in 2014 Crude Production
- 'Longmire' Cancelled, Looks for New Network
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- Clippers Deal Started With 2 Numbers
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE