During March to May, there were 2.12 million unemployed, 121,000 fewer than for December to February.
The claimant count fell to 3.1% in June, the lowest since
At the same time, the number of people claiming Jobseeker's Allowance declined by 36,300 on month, when it was forecast to drop by 27,000.
The pound fell to 1.7111 against the US dollar, from an early high of 1.7150 and held steady thereafter. At yesterday's close, the pound was trading at 1.7140.
Pulling away from an early high of 174.41 against the yen, the pound slipped to 173.97 and held steady thereafter. The pair closed yesterday's deals at 174.28.
Against the Swiss franc, the pound rose back to 1.5382, from an early low of 1.5348 . The pound is thus heading to breach its early 2-year high of 1.5385. The pair was quoted at 1.5352 at yesterday's close. The pound may find resistance near the 1.54 region.
The pound rose back to 0.7901 against the euro, from an early low of 0.7917. The pound is thus heading to pierce its early near 2-year high of 0.7898. If the pound extends its uptrend, it is likely to find resistance around the 0.77 region.
Eurostat reported that the euro area trade surplus increased marginally in May after exports and imports recovered from April. The trade surplus increased to a seasonally adjusted
Looking ahead, US PPI for June, industrial production for June and NAHB's housing market index for July are set to be released in the
Federal Reserve Chair
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World