During March to May, there were 2.12 million unemployed, 121,000 fewer than for December to February.
The claimant count fell to 3.1% in June, the lowest since
At the same time, the number of people claiming Jobseeker's Allowance declined by 36,300 on month, when it was forecast to drop by 27,000.
The pound fell to 1.7111 against the US dollar, from an early high of 1.7150 and held steady thereafter. At yesterday's close, the pound was trading at 1.7140.
Pulling away from an early high of 174.41 against the yen, the pound slipped to 173.97 and held steady thereafter. The pair closed yesterday's deals at 174.28.
Against the Swiss franc, the pound rose back to 1.5382, from an early low of 1.5348 . The pound is thus heading to breach its early 2-year high of 1.5385. The pair was quoted at 1.5352 at yesterday's close. The pound may find resistance near the 1.54 region.
The pound rose back to 0.7901 against the euro, from an early low of 0.7917. The pound is thus heading to pierce its early near 2-year high of 0.7898. If the pound extends its uptrend, it is likely to find resistance around the 0.77 region.
Eurostat reported that the euro area trade surplus increased marginally in May after exports and imports recovered from April. The trade surplus increased to a seasonally adjusted
Looking ahead, US PPI for June, industrial production for June and NAHB's housing market index for July are set to be released in the
Federal Reserve Chair
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Rocket Explodes During U.S. Test Flight
- Koch Brothers Took Genes, Money in Different Directions
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map
- Hackers Get Homeland Security Employee Records