The assignee for this patent, patent number 8774246, is
Reporters obtained the following quote from the background information supplied by the inventors: "Semiconductor vertical cavity devices operate by emitting light in the normal direction to an epitaxial growth surface. In such a device a partial or complete cavity is formed on the same semiconductor substrate that includes the active light emitter. Semiconductor vertical cavity devices include vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser (VCSEL) diodes and resonant cavity light emitting diodes (RCLEDs)."
In addition to obtaining background information on this patent, VerticalNews editors also obtained the inventors' summary information for this patent: "Disclosed embodiments are directed towards semiconductor light sources comprising at least one vertical resonant cavity light source, such as a VCSEL or RCLED, that may include selective buried acceptor or donor diffusions that control the electric conductivity in and around intracavity epitaxial phase-shifting layer or multiple layers to laterally confine one or more optical modes. The selective buried diffusions provide an electrical conductivity change in the surrounding layers to direct current flow through the inner mode confining region. Disclosed semiconductor light sources thus provide a new structure that provides both current blocking and mode confinement.
"Some embodiments include at least one depleted heterojunction current blocking region (DHCBR) within an outer current blocking region of at least one of the upper minor, lower mirror, and the active region. A conducting channel is within the inner mode confinement region that is framed by the DHCBR, wherein the DHCBR functions to force current flow into the conducting channel 131 during operation of the light source."
For more information, see this patent: Deppe, Dennis G.; Freisem, Sabine M.. Semiconductor Light Sources Including Selective Diffusion for Optical and Electrical Confinement. U.S. Patent Number 8774246, filed
Keywords for this news article include: Electronics, Semiconductor,
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go