New Data from
Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research, "The conduction and valence band moves to the high or low energy region, and the energy gap becomes narrower for the native point defect models. In particular, oxygen interstitials (O-i) have a direct band gap, and new gap states appear in the band gap, which can be responsible for the high photocatalytic efficiency in anatase TiO2. The phenomenon of 'impurity compensation' takes place for the oxygen and titanium interstitials. Ti vacancy (V-Ti) can promote the utilization of solar light by analyzing the absorption spectra."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "All the calculated results show that O-i and V-Ti are beneficial in improving the photocatalytic activity of TiO2 in the UV-visible light range."
For more information on this research see: Effects of native defects on the electronic structure and photocatalytic activity in anatase TiO2 by first principles calculations. Optik, 2014;125(13):3145-3149. Optik can be contacted at:
The news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained from
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Study: Recessions Can Postpone Motherhood Forever
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- China Approves iPhone 6 After Security Assurances
- U.S. Home Prices Rose at Slowest Pace in 20 Months
- Meet the YouTube Tech Review Sensation
- Who Is Daniel Ivascyn?
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Hispanics Carry Big Clout: Census
- Netflix Eyes Hollywood With Feature Film