The early strength on
Positive sentiment was initially generated by a report from the
Annual growth in Chinese industrial production in June and fixed asset investment for the January to June period also came in above estimates.
Traders have also reacted positively to better than expected second quarter results from
Additionally, shares of
Computer hardware, steel, and gold stocks are seeing considerable strength in early trading, while most of the other major sectors have shown more modest moves.
The major averages have pulled back off their highs for the young session but are currently holding on to moderate gains. The Dow is up 50.24 points or 0.3% at 17,110.92, the Nasdaq is up 21.65 points or 0.5% at 4,438.04 and the S&P 500 is up 6.44 points or 0.3% at 1,979.72.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Zillow in Reported $2B Bid for Real Estate Rival Trulia
- Demand for Fair Trade Brings Big Opportunity, Clear Conscience
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- Google Confirms $1B Acquisition of Twitch.tv
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Amazon Hiring on Calif.'s Central Coast
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Prison Workers Wanted
- Small Firms Take Out the Trash in Jersey