ENP Newswire -
Release date- 13072014 -
Liftoff occurred at
'ATK's CASTOR 30B motor provided the additional thrust needed to deliver more cargo to the ISS crew,' said
The CASTOR 30B motor was developed to increase the payload capability for the Antares vehicle. The 30B motor is longer, has a reduced internal insulation thickness and provides 25 percent more thrust. Designed as an upper stage, it can function as a second or third stage depending on the vehicle configuration.
On future launches, the CASTOR 30/30B motors will be replaced with a CASTOR 30XL, which will enable Antares to carry even more cargo.
This launch was the second of eight Antares cargo delivery missions to the ISS under Orbital's CRS contract. Orbital is under contract to deliver up to 20,000 kilograms of food, clothing, crew supplies, spare parts and equipment, and scientific experiments to the ISS.
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Hiring on the Rise at Small Businesses
- NSHMBA Names Lincoln as Automotive Partner
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly