That is one important message Maj.
Masiello, who commands the
"It is vitally important that AFRL engage with our industry and academia partners to highlight our requirements and research interests," Masiello said. "We need to communicate our S&T priorities and where there are gaps and opportunities in areas like cyber, autonomy and next-generation aerospace. We also get valuable feedback on industry capabilities and emerging technologies that show promise."
Masiello and Lt. Gen.
Officials said a unique aspect to this year's dialogue is the ability for those seeking to do business with the
* Next generation aerospace
* Space and nuclear
* Intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance
* Human performance
* Command, control, cyber and communications
* Affordability and sustainment
* Electronic warfare/electronic protection
Masiello said his team of AFRL scientists and engineers have "frequent contact with warfighters at all levels of command" to learn about challenges that urgently need solved and to share solutions that can be rapidly fielded, such as advanced airborne sensors to identify threats like improvised explosive devices. Just as important though is investment today in technologies that he called "the real game changers."
"At AFRL we really do turn science fiction into science fact," Masiello said. "And it's the diversity of our government, industry and academic team that makes it possible. In this uncertain funding environment, we need to work together to make every dollar count."
Small business is an important source of technology innovation and transition for the
"We defend America by unleashing the power of innovative air and space technology," Masiello said. "It's the combined ecosystem of government, academia, small business and large business, working in collaboration which enables that."
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Bogdanovitch Delivers Laughs With 'She's Funny'
- Labor Day Travel Up, Gas Prices Down
- Nintendo Launching 'Amiibo' Toy-game Franchise
- U.K. Raises Terror Threat Level to 'Severe'
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia