The business enterprise partnership, announced after Tuesday's market close, aims to "redefine the way work will get done, address key industry mobility challenges and spark true mobile-led business change," the companies said in a joint statement.
Appearing on business cable channel
Rometty said the apps would address specific industry needs, such as helping airline pilots save fuel, and could be used in a wide range of business applications, turning iPads and smartphones into money-saving tools. "This can save 10% to 15% for an airline deployed widely," Rometty said.
Apple shares rose
"We are in independent positions of strength,"
Apple's first major joint venture partnership in years is "absolutely huge; it's landmark," Cook said. "It takes the best of
Analysts applauded the move, which will expand Apple's consumer base into business and burnish
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- NSHMBA to Rebrand With New Name, Logo
- Chrysler and Google Launch Virtual Plant Tour
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- Iran Digs in on Underground Nuclear Site
- Perry Wants to Skip Court for Foreign Trip
- Investors Fret Yahoo's Future, Stock Dips
- Existing Home Sales in U.S. Fell in August
- U.N. Endorses Rights of Indigenous Peoples