In recent trading, the major averages have moved roughly sideways, hovering near their highs for the young session. The Dow is up 120.88 points or 0.7% at 17,064.69, the Nasdaq is up 22.86 points or 0.5% at 4,438.35 and the S&P 500 is up 10.02 points or 0.5% at 1,977.59.
The early strength on
Before the start of trading,
However, the company also reported adjusted earnings of
The markets have also benefited from news on the merger-and-acquisition front, with
A vast majority of the major sectors have moved to the upside in early trading, although most are showing only modest moves.
Brokerage stocks are seeing considerable strength, however, with the NYSE Arca Broker/Dealer Index climbing by 1.1%.
Oil service, transportation, and defense stocks are also seeing early strength, while gold stocks have come under pressure amid a sharp drop by the price of the precious metal.
In overseas trading, stock markets across the
The major European markets have also moved to the upside on the day. While the French CAC 40 Index has risen by 0.6%, the
In the bond market, treasuries are seeing modest weakness after showing a strong upward move last week. Subsequently, the yield on the benchmark ten-year note, which moves opposite of its price, is up by 1.8 basis points at 2.538%.
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go