In recent trading, the major averages have moved roughly sideways, hovering near their highs for the young session. The Dow is up 120.88 points or 0.7% at 17,064.69, the Nasdaq is up 22.86 points or 0.5% at 4,438.35 and the S&P 500 is up 10.02 points or 0.5% at 1,977.59.
The early strength on
Before the start of trading,
However, the company also reported adjusted earnings of
The markets have also benefited from news on the merger-and-acquisition front, with
A vast majority of the major sectors have moved to the upside in early trading, although most are showing only modest moves.
Brokerage stocks are seeing considerable strength, however, with the NYSE Arca Broker/Dealer Index climbing by 1.1%.
Oil service, transportation, and defense stocks are also seeing early strength, while gold stocks have come under pressure amid a sharp drop by the price of the precious metal.
In overseas trading, stock markets across the
The major European markets have also moved to the upside on the day. While the French CAC 40 Index has risen by 0.6%, the
In the bond market, treasuries are seeing modest weakness after showing a strong upward move last week. Subsequently, the yield on the benchmark ten-year note, which moves opposite of its price, is up by 1.8 basis points at 2.538%.
Most Popular Stories
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- House Shelves Immigration Bill, Goes on Vacation
- Ford Tremor: Easy to Park, Hard to Pay For
- What Hamas and Israel Hope to Gain in Gaza
- Notorious RBG Tells All in Couric Interview
- Why Samsung Shares Plunged in the April-June Quarter
- House GOP Leaders Abandon Immigrant Bill
- NASA Plans to Make Oxygen on Mars
- Market Loses All of July's Gains in One Day
- Wisconsin Supreme Court: Voter IDs Must Be Free