Despite the strong upward move by the broader markets, many of the major sectors ended the day showing only modest moves.
Tobacco stocks saw significant strength on the day, however, with the NYSE Tobacco Index advancing by 1.1%. With the gain, the index reached its best closing level in almost a month.
Internet and oil service stocks also showed notable moves to the upside, while most of the other major sectors saw more modest strength.
Meanwhile, gold stocks saw substantial weakness, dragging the NYSE Arca Gold Bugs Index down by 2.5%. The weakness in the sector came as gold for August delivery tumbled
Utilities stocks also moved to the downside on the day, resulting in a 1.1% drop by the Dow Jones Utilities Average. The loss pulled the average down to a nearly one-month closing low.
The major averages all closed firmly in positive territory but off their best levels of the day. The Dow climbed 111.61 points or 0.7% to 17,055.42, the Nasdaq advanced 24.93 points or 0.6% to 4,440.42 and the S&P 500 is up 9.53 points or 0.5% to 1,977.10.
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- Mark Sanchez Suddenly a Hot QB Commodity
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant