Despite the strong upward move by the broader markets, many of the major sectors ended the day showing only modest moves.
Tobacco stocks saw significant strength on the day, however, with the NYSE Tobacco Index advancing by 1.1%. With the gain, the index reached its best closing level in almost a month.
Internet and oil service stocks also showed notable moves to the upside, while most of the other major sectors saw more modest strength.
Meanwhile, gold stocks saw substantial weakness, dragging the NYSE Arca Gold Bugs Index down by 2.5%. The weakness in the sector came as gold for August delivery tumbled
Utilities stocks also moved to the downside on the day, resulting in a 1.1% drop by the Dow Jones Utilities Average. The loss pulled the average down to a nearly one-month closing low.
The major averages all closed firmly in positive territory but off their best levels of the day. The Dow climbed 111.61 points or 0.7% to 17,055.42, the Nasdaq advanced 24.93 points or 0.6% to 4,440.42 and the S&P 500 is up 9.53 points or 0.5% to 1,977.10.
Most Popular Stories
- Bently Creates Alabama Small Business Commission
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- Bolivar Appointed to NSHMBA National Board
- Is Alibaba's IPO Price a Fairytale?
- Los Angeles Angels Clinch Playoff Spot
- U.S. Producer Prices Held Steady in August
- Rosneft Growth Slowed by Western Sanctions
- SBA Kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month
- Duke Energy, Strata Partner on Big Solar Project
- Lindsay Lohan Claims She Handled Whitney Houston's Body Bag