Stocks finished sharply higher as the market rebounded off its worst weekly performance in three months. Investors cheered better-than-expected earnings from
The Dow Jones industrial average gained 111.61 points, or 0.7 percent, to close at 17,055.42.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 9.53 points, or 0.5 percent, to 1,977.10.
The Nasdaq composite index added 24.93 points, or 0.6 percent, to 4,440.42.
For the year:
The Dow is up 478.76 points, or 2.9 percent.
The S&P 500 index is up 128.74 points, or about 7 percent.
The Nasdaq is up 263.83 points, or 6.3 percent
Most Popular Stories
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Spiders Get Bigger, Reproduce Faster in Cities
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- Entrepreneur Contest Announced in Idaho
- Why BofA Won't Pay $17 Billion After All
- Notes From the July FOMC Meeting
- Obama Weighs Move on Legal Immigration
- Eric Holder Arrives in Ferguson